Competing in the digital arena requires a deep understanding of customers and users’ emotional reactions. Empathy is the cornerstone of such a process:
- Simply put empathy is the ability to understand or feel what another person is experiencing.
- In business it allows you to better understand why customers love or hate your products and services.
Although hard to master, empathy is an innate quality of all humans. The good thing is that empathy is a skill that can be further developed.
In this workshop we present basic methods to understand and feel our customers and practice empathy through discussion, collaborative exercises and game-based learning approach with lots of fun.
- How to improve your skills to recognize emotions that are being experienced by your customers and users
- How to conduct UX research to understand your customers
- How to practice empathy not only for your customers and users but also for your colleagues
Practically anyone who has a stake in a project (stakeholder)… in most of the cases:
- Product managers and product designers
- Business owners/ Startup founders / entrepreneurs
- Heads of Digital Creative directors
- UX designers / UX researchers
- Business analysts & Digital copyrighters
- Anyone who is involved in the development of digital products
Introduction – Goals and objectives of the seminar
The meaning of Empathy & Methods overview
A simple method to practice empathy: Empathy Mapping
Now let’s validate: Contextual inquiries, Interviews, Shadowing
Going deeper: Diary Studies
Let’s play: The Empathy toy & Gamestorming methods
Dr. Panagiotis Zaharias
Panagiotis started his career as an academic UX researcher pursuing a Ph.D. in the field of Human-Computer Interaction. He worked in several European research projects and after the successful completion of the Ph.D. degree, he started teaching in Universities in Greece and Cyprus. In parallel, he started to provide consulting services on UX Research & Design as a freelancer working with several companies and startups. He is a published author (70+ scientific papers and book chapters) and he has given talks and taught workshops on UX topics at academic & industry conferences around the world. He is also the organizer of the largest UX community in Greece, the so-called Athens UX Community.
Copies of slides, notes and resources
Pizza & drinks
Certification of attendance